Monday, January 2, 2012

custom framing

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am currently working as a custom framer.  I've had the opportunity to frame up some interesting items in this time including a solid silver putter from Tiffany's, some extremely sensitive "smoke paintings", records, shoes, all kinds of sports jerseys, a Ralph Lauren 911 kids sweater, a vintage cutlery set, vintage geometry set, marathon medals, WWII medal, an Order of Canada medal, a set of very old and fragile legal documents on parchment, $400 scarves, an original Emily Carr water colour (worth $65000!), microphones, old medications, the list goes on...  not all of which I have photos for.  I never really thought to take photos until more recently.  Each unique item can present themselves with a different set of "problems", it is my job then to become the problem solver!  Working with these valued objects can be tricky and does require some craftiness, skill and ingenuity.  You do have to become quite creative and inventive at times!  I'll tell ya, making them appear as simple and seamless as possible is not always a simple task.  To float there as naturally as they would sit does require some sort of magic.  And to make sure that they are secure enough to defy the affects of gravity and withstand the inevitable travel and handling to their final resting place up on a wall somewhere.  Indeed I don't believe everyone appreciates the effort that goes into framing every piece, the problem being of course, presenting each item without compromising the integrity of the item!  You cannot damage the item, but you have to secure it somehow!!  Anyhow, here are some examples of my work...







No comments:

Post a Comment